Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Power of a Loose Schedule

When presented with the classic psychological test, "Which shape do you like the best: square, circle, triangle, or squiggle?" I answer, "A squiggly square." I like structure, but also enjoy the freedom to be creative within that structure. Too much structure depresses me. Too much chaos confuses me. So a compromise makes my little psyche happy.

Once I figured out why my response is "a squiggly square," it's made my life a bit easier because I can structure it in a way that fits my psychological preference.

For example, my summer schedule is a list of things I must do every day. Doesn't matter what order or how long I do each activity, I must do at least one of each every day. And each category has flexibility within it so I'm not doing the exact same thing day after day. I've included fun things (crafts, reading) as well as necessary things (clean house, write, work out).

For those of us who have grown up with the Internet and computers, this culture of jumping from task to task randomly is an extension of how we process digital media. I'm not saying it's better or worse than those who can stay on a single task all day, it's simply how some of us work.

We'll see if this loose schedule really helps me achieve a clean house, a publishable novel, an emptier craft room, a healthier diet/body, a better understanding of the Bible, and more read books by the end of the summer. Or if it ends in epic fail.

No comments:

Post a Comment