Thursday, May 3, 2012

POV-From 1st to 3rd

I'm currently re-writing my first chapter from first to third person so I can submit it to an agent who requested the change. At first, I didn't think I'd like yet one more re-writing of "CHAPTER 1" but now that I'm 11 hand-written pages into the project, I'm pretty stoked. I wrote the piece in first person for two reasons: one, to get closer to the heart of the characters and therefore get the reader more emotionally involved. Two, because I tend to be verbose and limiting myself to a first-person POV would force me to cut a LOT of material. But you know what? Now that I know a lot more about how to write and specifically how to manipulate POV, my third person version is, in my humble opinion, more tightly written and more emotionally sincere than in first. Who woulda thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment