Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Finish what you start

I'm one of the worst when it comes to finishing what I start. I have an ENTIRE ROOM in my house dedicated to projects I started with great enthusiasm, then for whatever reason gave up on. Sometimes it was due to disinterest. Sometimes I just wasn't good at it. Most times, something "more important" came up and I just haven't thought about that project since.

Last night as I was finishing the cut-in portions of painting my hallway, I was thinking about my tendency to go into a project, guns blazing, then leave the party before the last song plays. Why? Maybe I have a fear of seeing that the fun's over. Just like running 5k, 10k, a 1/2 marathon and a full marathon in one year, what's left after that? Maybe I fear failure: I finish but with a face-plant. Maybe I really am lazy and don't want to put the work in once I find out it's going to take a chunk of my time I could spend reading or sleeping or eating chocolate caramel bon-bons.

Many people say, "when I get around to it" or "when I have time" when it comes to unfinished projects. I disagree with that mindset. We will never "get around to" things that aren't important to us. We will never "have time" when other things in our life are a priority. (Sometimes its someone else who determines our priorities, and that's just life.) We have to MAKE the time. Set aside time. List our priorities and check off our list as we finish before we take on something new, otherwise we accomplish nothing. Is there anything more pitiful than the person who talks big but never gets off the couch?

Is preaching to myself like listening to the voices in my head? Maybe. But if it works, so be it.

1 comment: