Thursday, March 20, 2014

Slump, slump, slump, slump...DUN DUNNA DUN DUN DUNNNNNN!

What do you do when the ice and snow, the stress of your job, the weight of the world, and the general EVERYTHING starts to crush the living daylight out of you?

Fight back.

Step one: make a plan and lay it out so I can SEE my goals. I'm planning my racing and writing calendar for the next couple of months so I know what's do and when so I can MAKE time for what I want to do rather than rushing to do it at the last minute.

Step two: take some risks. I just entered a (very prestigious) contest I've never entered before. I didn't think about it, didn't re-read my piece, didn't worry, I just DID IT. I'm terrified. I have three others I'm going to enter in the next couple of days. Why? If you don't take risks, you don't make any gains.

Step three: make time for myself. Although I feel guilty, my husband has reminded me (often, lately, almost as if I have a hard head and am not listening) that taking time for myself IS taking time for others. Why? Because by taking care of myself, I can stay healthy and do more. Duh. My husband is so smart.

Step four: help others along the way. Any time I feel depressed, the best way to feel better is to help others. It's actually a scientifically proven fact. Look it up! So I need to focus on that more as the end of the school year approaches.

So, there's my four-step approach to attacking the slump monster I've been fighting lately. Revision has been colder than normal around here. Icy and snowy, too. Spring is coming, however, and soon, very soon, I'm hoping to see the results of my hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment