Friday, March 28, 2014

Rejection: A Writer's Drive or Downfall


If you're going to be a successful writer, you have to at some point accept the fact that not everyone is going to like what you write. In fact, a lot of people won't like what you write. Important people. People who can make or break your career. Agents. Editors. Publishers. The movers and shakers in the industry are known for taking your babies, ripping them to shreds, and leaving you with the feeling you should give up writing and work as a factory inspector for packing peanuts.

Baloney.

The same principle applies to everything else in life: getting a (new) job, creating relationships, learning a new skill, furthering your education, etc. Negative people are going to be negative and you can't do anything about that. Yeah, you might not be the best, but if you work at it you can be BETTER. That's the point of life: becoming a better person, growing, and making the world a better place.

I've come to a place in my life where I can honestly say, "Too bad for you," when rejected without any bitterness or anger. Honestly! Sometimes I feel disappointment, but I'm human. I wouldn't have tried for the job, for the publication, for the "whatever" if I didn't want it. The reason I feel "Too bad for you," is I know the value I bring to the table and I know they are missing out because they haven't chosen to let me sit with them. Their loss.

Can I be a better writer? Definitely. Can I be a better employee? Absolutely. Can I be a better person? Yeah. (OH, yeah!) But I still have value and I still have merit and I'm not going to let anyone tear me down just because they won't let me play with their toys.

I'll have toys of my own one day. Toys that I have earned with sweat and tears and I'll be proud to share them with others. You see, I'm not greedy. You want to be part of my play group? Come on! I welcome anyone who wants to play fair and be friendly. Bullies need not apply.

So don't give up on your dreams when you're told you're not good enough. Use that as a springboard to get better. Study harder. Learn more. You may need more time. You may need to be just where you are. Who knows what blessings are in store for those who are patient and kind to themselves in the inner struggle to love ourselves?

And remember: the person who says "I can't" and the person who says "I can" are both right. Who are you going to be today?

No comments:

Post a Comment