Monday, June 20, 2011

Submissions

Submitted another short story to a contest tonight. This was an old story I went back and revised. Haven't heard from the other contests I submitted to earlier this summer, but I'll keep checking.

I'm now seeing enough contest/publication requests through my mailing lists that I'm getting a little overwhelmed. Sometimes I don't want to submit to any of them because I'm afraid none of my work really applies to what they want. Then again, if I don't try, they CAN'T say yes. So, tonight, I bit the bullet and sent in one of my slightly-weird pieces. We'll see how it does. All they can do is say no.

I've been keeping track of contests for short stories, flash fiction, novels, and collections, but I'm hesitant in submitting to the collections ones. Not only do I NOT have enough quality stuff for a collection, I'm just not sure I want to commit that much stuff to one publication. Maybe I'm being silly. I have to have 50 to 100 pages of quality stories to submit anyway, and I don't have that yet.

I'm considering entering a contest where I have to write an entire novel in 3 days. Crazy. You can do all the planning you want ahead of time, but you can only write the thing in the three alloted days. Still considering. I'm not sure I'll have the time to do that, but it might be fun to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment