Friday, January 24, 2014

**Post 100** The Five W's and one F


It's hard to believe I've hit post number 100. Wow. What a journey. From "I will NEVER write a blog," to writing at least one once a week for a year now and three years after starting the first entry. And look at what has happened in my writing life: I've joined the state guild, I've taken an active role in the leadership of one of the local writers' groups, and I've placed and won in several contests and had stories published under contracts. It's amazing and wonderful and scary all at once.

Thinking about my decision to write that very first blog entry is what brings me to my theme for post 100. Why would *I* write a blog? Who would read anything *I* would blather on about? Whatever in the world makes me think I'm an authority about anything? When would I find the time to do it? Where would I get the ideas to write about? And what about the future of "Revision is a Dish Best Served Cold"?

You see...

1. If you didn't know, there are a lot of really bad blogs out there. Yeah, I know. Shocker. And I didn't want to be one of THOSE people. The kind that everyone clicks on once out of curiosity then clicks past the second time because they know that any glimpse of the text would not only be a waste of time but might even burn out a few brain cells. I also have this fear of rejection. Yes, the mighty, cheerful Cannon of glee has an occasional depression episode or two directly related to stress, rejection, and the fact that life isn't fair. I'm human. Yes, really, I am. And the thought of people making negative comments on my blog was terrifying. But I got over it. (Mostly.)

2. People everywhere have things in common. Yes, our individual lives are unique, but humans are designed to be able to connect through language and shared experiences. I don't know what other people are going through, struggling with, but perhaps by writing about my struggles I can help someone else know they aren't alone.

3. It took me some time to realize that I AM an authority about some things. I don't know everything, of course, but I do know enough to help some people. Or, as in #2, help them know they are not alone in their struggles. I feel I should share what I *do* know rather than sitting in my chair like a terrified mouse. *squeak*

4. We find the time for what we love.

5. Ideas are everywhere, we just have to open our eyes and ears and have our pens (or keyboards) at the ready.

As for the future if "Revision," who knows? "Revision" is a revision unto itself. That's what writing is, that's what training to compete in a race is, that's what being a better human is. My world is flipped up on its end at the moment, but I'm taking the "zen" road, believing that in the end, my Writer will give me a happy ending. All I have to do is keep my head up and do what I do best: learn, teach, help, encourage, and write my heart out every day.

Until the write time...



No comments:

Post a Comment